Sunday, August 15, 2010

Blackpool - My Home Town


Well I decided to do this blog over a year ago but things happened and it never materialised so I am going to start now by saying 'We are premier League' because we were not when I decided to do this and want to say Good Luck for this season to Ian Holloway and all at Blackpool FC
What can I say about Blackpool???

Well I have lived here since I was a baby when my mum and dad moved here from Glasgow and have grew up thinking that Blackpool was a dump, although it has its moments it is having more and more events and attractions on and is trying to establish itself as the number one UK tourist spot once more. Being more famous in recent years for the 'hen and stag parties' although there are still plenty that come to party, Blackpool is doing its best to bring the families back to the resort.




I am a keen but amateur photographer and love getting out and about taking photographs and want to make the most of the town I live in, so now try and go out whenever there are events on in Blackpool and take some photographs and publish them on Flickr so that people can see how great the town is.  As well as looking in the Blackpool Evening Gazette, I always check Visit Blackpool for all the latest news.
This year on Friday 3rd September the lights will be switched on by Robbie Williams which is a great pull for the town although for the first time it will be a ticketed event and I do wonder if there will be many local people who will get tickets. This event is a register now and there will be a lottery for tickets. I want to share some of my photographs and details on some of the events that have and are taking place in Blackpool.









Since the promenade started being done up it has become a really nice place to go and relax, there are grassy areas and seated areas and in lovely surroundings as the promenade was beginning to look shabby and really needed updating.  I used to go to the pleasure beach quite regularly, although I don't really like the rides, it is a great place to take some fantastic photographs, but since they started to charging an entrance fee (which I begrudge paying seeing as though you still have to pay for all the rides) I haven't been, although I believe they do have special offers regularly on books of tickets and the Hot Ice show is always fantastic.

The sandcastle water park is a great attraction for families and people of all ages and at the prices are £10.35 for adult and £8.55 for children over 3 (there are discounts for seniors and people with disabilities) and also family tickets available. It is a great day out with lots to do but it does not have its own car park so it is either street parking (of which there is little in this area) or in the car parks although there are car parks, they are expensive if you are parking all day so if you are on holiday, it may be cheaper to travel by tram or bus.

Below are some events that have taken place in and around Blackpool.



















Blackpool Championship Parade







Every year Blackpool hosts the World Firework Championships and this year is no different, but usually they take place over a few weekends however this year they will take place over three days being 10th - 12th September 2010.  They will also be set off from the beach between Central and South Pier this year instead of from North Pier as in previous years.
It is always a great event although in some instances the events have had to cancelled due to our lovely British weather!!!





No comments: