Saturday, June 25, 2011

Blackpool Pleasure Beach - Nickelodeon Land

I have lived in Blackpool for most of my life and spent many a happy time at Blackpool Pleasure Beach . I remember when they used to have rides before the season started at 15p many years ago when I was a child then it went up to 50p and as the rides got better so did the prices.  I fell out of love with the Pleasure Beach when they started charging an entrance fee to get in of £5 per person as well as paying for each individual ride or buying wristbands.






 However since I now have a child of my own who goes mad every time we drive past and see Dora, I thought it was time we made an effort and took him.  He is 2 and is Dora mad.  As I have got older, I have become a bit of a baby when it comes to rides and don't really go on anything which is why I begrudge paying an entrance fee, plus the fact that I think it should like Alton Towers where you pay to get in and everything is included or pay individually but not both.








Anyway we just wanted to have a nosey so decided not to buy wristbands on this occasion as we didn't know if he would actually go on anything (we went to Butlins last year and he wouldn't go on any rides).  He was very excited when we got in and watched the Ice Blast shoot up in the air. We made our way over to Nickelodeon Land (previously Beaver Creek) and I don't think he knew what to make of all the rides and everything that was going on. A couple of the rides were not open as Nickelodeon Land only opened in April. The Rugrats Lost River and Spongebob's Splash Bash were 2 that were not operating.






You can pay for rides individually rather than buy a wristband if you choose, but if you are planning on making a day of it then it would be cheaper to buy a wristband. Each ride requires so many tickets (if paying individually), tickets can be bought in the shop at £1 each and the rides required 2,3 or 4 tickets per person depending on which ride.  There is a mini stage and shows throughout the day in Nickelodeon Land and you can meet Dora and Spongebob Characters.






If like me you don't tend to go on the rides or buy a wristband, the entrance fee includes a ride on the Pleasure Beach Express Train round the park, The Chinese Puzzle maze, The South Beach show and The dancing water show.  There are rides for every age and every taste.  I am glad that the pleasure beach has kept some of the old rides such as the Revolution, Grand National  and Steeplechase to name a few.





As I think I mentioned before, it has been many years since I last went to Blackpool Pleasure Beach and I remember lots of burger and over priced fast food stalls.  There are still burger and fast food stalls but one thing I did notice was there were restaurants with fairly priced meal deals, such as the Gourmet Burger meal deal which was £5.95 for adults (burger, fries and a drink) and £3.95 (approx) for kids meal. There was a pizza deal on as well which I think was all you can eat for £7.95.



There are lots of stalls selling drinks, souvenirs and food all over the park and it is very easy to get around.  As well as an amusement Park or Resort as it now calls itself, Blackpool Pleasure Beach has lots of shows too. The Hot Ice show has been going for years and is always a great show worth seeing or if you fancy yourself as the next Torvill or Dean, you can actually go ice skating as the rink is within the park.  There is also Ken Websters Hypnotist show for over 18's, When Frankie met Robbie and Circus of Horrors plus many more for which details are on the Blackpool Pleasure Beach website under entertainment. Also don't forget to watch the dancing Fountains which are situated near the Haunted House.






There are loads of Hotels around the Blackpool Pleasure Beach including The Big Blue Hotel, which I believe is owned by or classed as part of the pleasure beach.  This is a four star family Hotel next door to the pleasure beach. If you want something cheaper but just as close, there is the Travelodge which is a 5 minute walk and has rooms from £19.99 (when they have offers on), but you do have to pay for parking even though it has its own car park. The Hotel has a covered car park which is £8 per 24 hours and only had 16 spaces.  There is an open car Park attached to it and I do know they charge £5 for up to 8 hours but not sure what it goes up to after that.






Don't park in the South Beach car park across the road from the Pleasure Beach unless you have to as it is very expensive. There are lots of car parks dotted around and a few at the back of the Pleasure Beach on Bond Street which will be cheaper. If you want luxury, then there is the 5* Boutique Hotel a few minutes walk called Number 1 South Beach. As well as celebrities staying there, Channel Four's Hotel Inspector visited it too. There is of course loads of Hotels and B and B's along the promenade too, for more information go to the Visit Blackpool website.






I do think that the Pleasure Beach is a great family day out (albeit very expensive) and they always have offers on especially if you book online and there is something for every age and taste. I am going to take my little one again but will wait until the kids go back to school in September as when I went last week on a Monday, it was lovely and quiet and we didn't queue for anything but I imagine its going to be a very busy summer holiday for them.  Enjoy x

1 comment:

Blackpool Pleasure Beach Hotels said...

Blackpool Pleasure Beach is one of the best places for short-term holidays in England. My family and I love to go there.
I recommend the place to everyone who wants to surprise their kids and spend some quality time with them.